Click here to download a more comprehensive outline in PDF format
The Operations Academy | Operations in Financial Services
The Roles of the Back Office in Today’s Global Environment
Our online program for operations and IT personnel is delivered by dedicated operations professionals, with the primary focus on operations as a business in its own right.
This intense program is designed to produce operations personnel who will be fully prepared for their desk role training within 2 weeks of starting the program.
In recent years it has become increasingly important to develop operations personnel to acquire not only a detailed understanding of the tasks for which they are responsible, but also to develop a ‘big picture’ understanding of the entire process of which they form a part. Many people that are cocooned within their own tasks do not possess the wherewithal to spot potential problems that could arise in other areas, unless they have been educated in the overall process flow.
Development of a strong all-round operations team increases the probability of detecting risks at the earliest stage, understanding when the danger signals reach a point where escalation is necessary, and as a result minimizing errors leading to monetary loss and potential loss of clients.
Our program is led by operations professionals that have managed large operations departments and who possess a multitude of day-to-day operations experiences, both positive and negative. Many of these experiences are illustrated during the program; as such ‘war stories’ really hold the attention of the delegates and have a long-lasting impact. We believe that our instructors possess a unique combination of skills that combines their real-life experiences with highly structured learning methods.
This program is available either as part of the “Global Markets Academy” or as a stand-alone version at:
“The Operations Academy”.
The principal objectives of these 3 seminars, each 15-18 hours in length, viewed from an operations
perspective, are to:
• Facilitate a detailed understanding of the derivatives trade lifecycle.
• Explain the fundamental similarities and differences between Exchange Trade (ETD) and Over the Counter (OTC) products.
• Examine the world of OTC derivative trades and the basic operational concepts used to manage the process.
• Explain the basic product pricing. How and what they are used for on a day to day basis
• Examine the role of each function within the organization and how they work together to provide an effective process.
• Provide in-depth knowledge of the settlement process and a thorough understanding of the risks.
• Explain the importance of automating the workflow process to optimize the banks processing costs against profits, without increasing risk or reducing control.
• Describe basic book keeping (accounting entries) and the implications of creating automatic and manual accounting entries against the P/L
• Be aware of the operational controls in each step in the settlement process and the importance they play in reducing risk for the department and bank
• Identifying Non receipts of cash from c/parties and the effect this has on our Bank account – “It’s not Monopoly Money”
• Facilitate the understanding of problem analysis using realistic scenarios
We suggest that a blended learning approach combining dynamic instructor-led video sessions, case studies, simulations and workshops providing the most effective way to delivery training at all levels within the organization.
Firm foundations can be laid with highly interactive video based training. Hands-on workshops and simulation will then be used throughout the programme to allow delegates to put theory into immediate and realistic practice, illustrating clearly how the concepts work in practice.
Passive learning will be kept to a minimum, and the emphasis will be on delegates achieving a true understanding of the key concepts, and how they are applied.
Our program is available in 3 programs each equivalent to a 3-day course:
The modules that form the program are summarized below:
The Target Audience
There are three types of people that this program is designed for:
• Contingent staff, who need to get up-to-speed quickly with minimal attention from senior staff leaders
• Raw graduates that are due to join, or have already joined, a financial institution and who are required to start their career with a solid all-round view of operations
• Existing employees of financial institutions who have a limited ‘field of vision’ currently and…
o who wish to expand their horizons for themselves, or
o whose management wish the individual’s horizons to be expanded
o Managers seeking greater knowledge about the entire process.
Type of Organisation
Firms that should be interested in having their staff attend this program include:
• banks (primarily investment banks)
• buy-side firms (including asset managers, pension funds, insurance companies, hedge funds, corporates)
• central securities depositories
• consulting firms (e.g. IBM, PwC, Accenture)
• Software companies supporting the financial sector